Sunday, January 22, 2012

Birth Class and the Newlywed Game

This week was good and long. Weird combination, I know. I started teaching my first 5 day unit for the semester. We are teaching reading comprehension with comic books. It has been fun. Our class is really small. We only have 4 students. This week one of them has been out of town, so that leaves us with 3. One day we only had 2 of the 3. It was a little crazy to teach such a small class. Mike has been busy with school and volunteering this week. He is starting to collect volunteer hours for his medical school application. He tutors Chemistry 105 and 101 in the Chemistry lab on Wednesday nights. He also has started to participate in the Pre-Med society on campus. This week they talked about writing his personal statement for his med school application. Lots of preparing for med school is going on even though it is at least 2 years before we start med school.

I have been busy prepping lessons, writing papers, and trying to stay awake. At about 4pm everyday I am hit with exhaustion. Not the best but it could be worse. I had a doctor's appointment on Tuesday. Low key. urine sample, weight check, blood pressure, and any questions. Pretty easy. Doctor doesn't seem to be worried about me at all. That is a good sign. Milk is my new favorite craving. I have never been big on drinking milk other than with my cereal but now I crave it all the time. We use to buy just a gallon a week but now we go through 2 gallons a week.

Baby G has been busy growing and bulking up for her debut in two months. (Exactly two months from today is the due date!) She loves kicking me in my ribs on the right side and playing hide and seek when my friend Heather comes over. Whenever Heather is with me she stops kicking and as soon as Heather leaves she starts kicking. She thinks shes funny I guess. 

Friday night we went to our friend Kyle Redfearn's birthday party. Good food and friends is always the best way to end the school week. Good news: #1 BYU Men's volleyball won their game against #5 USC. It was fun to watch them play for a little while before the party.

Mike also played in a volleyball tournament on Monday, 4 player coed teams. They won the whole tournament! It was fun to watch him for a little bit. That has been one of my favorite things Mike has introduced me to since we met. Volleyball is one of my favorite sports now.

Saturday was full of studying, donating plasma (Mike does that), grocery shopping, and cleaning. It is always a busy day. We ended the night by going to the ward social, the newlywed game. It was a lot of fun and I am really glad that we went. There were three teams and every couple took a turn answering questions. Mike and I both answered our questions correctly. We pretty much won the game for our team. lol Our questions were: If your wife is at the doctor's office which magazine is she likely to be reading? a) the Ensign b) Good Housekeeping c) People d) Glamour.  The correct answer was People. We were the only couple to get that one right. The second question was: It must be true that opposites attract because we disagree on...fill in the blank. Our correct answer: baby names. So we are pretty much the best couple ever. We were one of the few couples to get all our answers right.

Tuesday night was the highlight of the week. We attended out first birth class. It is nothing like how they show in the movies. The doctor went over labor signs and other things but the best part was the end. He was just about to show us the forceps and how they work. Huge, silver salad tongs. Well his phone had gone off a few times during the class but he would look and then turn it off. Just when he was about to show us how the forceps work on the pelvis made of hands, (he selected on of the dads to recreate a pelvis with his hands, and plastic doll as the baby) his phone rang. He looks and says: "Labor and delivery?" and answers the phone. 30 seconds later he says: "I am on my way." Hangs up the phone and looks torn about what to do with the class. Mike and I were thinking it was a no brain-er. Go help! He says "I have to go. There's a doctor in trouble." Leaves the room. Comes back two seconds later and grabs the huge, silver salad tongs (Forceps) and leaves again. Needless to say, it was quite the ending.

Those are the highlights of our week. On the menu/schedule this week is more studying, another birth class, teaching, and trying to find a new place to live. We are looking at moving into Cougar Court (Where Chris and Melissa lived when they were first married).

1 comment:

  1. Funny birth class experience. It's always good when your doctor brings the forceps! LOL.

    ReplyDelete