Sunday, January 6, 2013

Three-ish days

So I completed the first three-ish days of student teaching. So far it is a lot of fun. I have the best mentor teachers I could possibly have. I am working with Steve Barrus and Ryan Snelgrove. They are both loved by their students. The other faculty members kept telling me what great teachers they are and how lucky I am to teach with them. They like to have fun while they are teaching and that is good because it reminds me to have fun. I am worried that I will take student teaching too seriously and forget that teaching is a creative and fun process. I am teaching 10th and 12th grade. I wear a name tag every day to school that says "Mrs. Garrard - Teacher Candidate". I am very official. I realized on Wednesday, the first day of student teaching, that this is going to be the longest "job interview" I will ever have.

On the second day of teaching, January 3rd, there was a power outage. The power went out during zero period. Outside it was -10. It was about an hour later when they decided to send the students home because of how cold it was and there was no power. Snow days are so much better when you are a teacher. I got to come home and cuddle my sick baby girl who has bronchiolitis. I went to DI and found 101 Dalmatians on VHS, as well as, The Sword in the Stone and Hercules. I love DI.

We have 1:30 church now. I actually enjoyed all the morning time I had to prep, especially because Delaney was taking a nap and I had the house all to myself. My back is really hurting because I did some bridges to strengthen my core/back. That's what I get for working out. Boo.

On my first day of student teaching Delaney woke up at 6:15 am. The same time I woke up. She followed me around as I got ready. She was really supportive during breakfast. She was so happy, but that is because she didn't realize that her world was about to be rocked. We have some amazing friends who are volunteering to take care of Delaney while Mike is in class and I am teaching. I miss my little girl so much but it is fun to see how excited she is when I come home. Tomorrow Mike starts classes. He is excited to start his final semester of classes. I can't believe that college graduation is this year! We will both walk in graduation in July. Crazy. Time has flown by. This is going to be a crazy semester but a very rewarding one.

Also I received a phone call from Denise Bekkedahl. She was my English teacher in high school for a couple different classes. She is the teacher that inspired me to become an English teacher. I loved talking to her and receiving tips on classroom management. It feels great to know that she is in my corner and that I have her as a resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment